Delighted to welcome you to our first episode (vol.1) of ‘Short Hikes to the Past’! It is a new series of walking and hiking programs created by VMD, with generous help from the authors of a book of the same name on which the programs are based, Lara Černicki and Stašo Forenbaher. Their knowledge of history and tradition, the cultural and archaeological heritage of various (some lesser-known) corners of Croatia combined with the experience of the VMD Adventure team (since 1992) in the organization and implementation of explorations of the outdoor, these programs will let you discover Croatia in a wholly new way! In this episode we will meet old towns, fortifications and villages in the vicinities of Bribir, explore the trails of the caravans the farmers of Vinodol used to trade their stock with the inhabitants of Gorski Kotar, see the remains of old summer season villages where we learn the stories about the traditional life and then the panoramic footpaths above Kavranica Rock, where the views on the northern Adriatic take your breath away!
Being active and learning new things, sounds like fun? Join us and enter ‘Short Hikes to the Past’ with us!
40 € (290,00 HRK) per person*
*min 6 pax
Options (additional cost) and discounts:
Optional add-ons (info upon request):
Duration: 3h30-4h00 walk + picknick
Difficulty: 2 boots (easy to moderate hiking)
Length / elevation: 8,5km i + 450m
Road configuration: varied and moderately easy terrain, a combination of old cart paths and caravan trails, a bit of karst on the cliff trail, no steep ascends or descends
– own vehicle or one of the following options:
– Group transfer – if a larger number of request, the VMD team will offer group transfer by mini-bus
– private transfer – should you wish for a carefree excursion it is possible to organize a private transfer with a car, van or mini-bus depending on group size
– car rental – VMD offers quality vehicles for an affordable price in cooperation with our partner M.A.C.K. rent-a-car.
– the program includes ‘Picknick on the trail’ – light snacks, including some Croatian traditional products (cheese, ham, vegetables and fruit)
– a dinner in the evening can be organized at additional cost in one of the closeby restaurants in Novi Vinodolski, Crikvenica, Fužine or Delnice (more info upon request)
– proper hikers shoes
– sports/hiking clothing (have a shirt for change at hand, etc.)
– rainjacket or windstopper (Gore-tex or similar)
– sunglasses and hat, in case of hot and warm weather (March-September)
– min 1,5l water per person
Hiking poles recommended. If necessary, the VMD adventure lab will rent sticks for 4 € (30,00 HRK) per day.
– Old center od Novi Vinodolski, Drivenik, Ledenice
– Fort Badanj
– lunch or dinner in mountain hut Vagabundina koliba near Lič, homemade catering and recipes
*for more info on optional activities and visits in the area contact our experts in the VMD Adventure Laboratory
Vinodol valley is characterized by a mild Mediterranean climate with cold continental influences from Gorski Kotar. This tour is suited for the whole year with the exception of excessively hot days in the summer or extreme cold during the winter months, but really the best time for hiking is spring when the meadows in the valley are green and covered with flowers. Despite the mostly moderate climate we still recommend a warm change of clothes and a rainjacket since the downslope winds from Gorski Kotar can be pretty strong and cold (see ‘What to take with you?’).
Our adventure team is diligently following weather forecasts as well as other elements that may influence the implementation of the tour. In case of severe weather conditions (strong winds, rain, etc.) or any other inconvenience (road and transfer conditions) the team will inform you in time and advice about equipment and the like. Furthermore, our experienced tour leaders will be free to suggest alternative activities nearby in case of adverse conditions which would make the original tour significantly less enjoyable. Our adventure experts in the Zagreb office will give you advice and answer questions you might have in connection with appropriate outdoor gear, literature and similar. Give us a call, we are here for you!
29 years of experience in the organization of hiking programs in Croatia and around the world, combined with a team of well-versed tour guides who are passionate about nature and cultural and historical heritage, this is the recipe that results in every tour concocted in the VMD adventure lab being a successful ‘experiment’. Let us introduce you to the secrets of adventurous Croatia in a safe and interesting way! More about our tour leaders and the office crew here: VMD GUIDESContact